Hackers, the very term makes organizations and businesses freeze. They are treacherous and powerful. Web security is a huge concern these days, with users experiencing black computer screens, cancelled appointments without their awareness. Especially today, in the digital world with so many ecommerce stores, more people are buying and paying online, and the number is increasing every day. Marketers and business owners are always seeking to count on reliable website security tips for saving their businesses from hackers. A responsible web development company can never fail in implementing the best security practices for their clients.
Practices to follow to protect website from hackers
Hackers can affect your website in many ways starting from stealing data to set up an impermanent web server to mining for Bitcoins. It is vital to follow the best website security tips to ensure website security at all times. A few of the best tips are listed as follows:
- Remaining Aware of SQL Injection: A hacker employing a URL parameter for gaining access or a web form field refers to SQL injection attacks. When you are using typical transact SQL, you are unknowingly inserting rogue code into the query that hackers can use for changing tables or deleting data. However, here is a web security tip that you need to remember. Always use parameterized queries, and implementing these is simple as these are prevalent in every web language.
- Be Cautious of Error Messages: Whenever you see error messages, giving out too much information is never advisable. If you want to know how to secure a website, you must offer very minimal errors. By this, you can ensure that the users mistakenly are not leaking secrets present on the server. For instance, it can be database passwords or API keys. Website security tips also include not offering complete exception details as these instantly make SQL injection attacks more attainable by hackers. Keeping detailed errors in the server logs is alright and only giving out information that the users need.
- Sidestep File Uploads: You can easily maintain website security at all times if you do not enable operators and managers to upload files. Even if the users need to change their profile image, you must never permit them. A file might seem to be innocent, but these sometimes carry scripts. Once executed on the server, such scripts can open up the website completely. In case there are file upload forms present, you must treat every file with the utmost suspicion. When users upload pictures, you can never depend on the file extension as faking these is very easy these days.
- Use Website Security Tools: After you are done creating your website, you cannot just launch. The next thing involves testing the website security and learning how secure your website is, becoming ten times easier with proper security tools. You can address these tools as pen testing or penetration testing as well. In the market, you will find several free and commercial products helping you to test. A few of the free tools you can try out are SecurityHeaders.io, Netsparker, OpenVAS, and many more.
Automated test results can be intimidating as these pose a host of potential challenges. But you must emphasize only the most crucial issues. Every reported case will include an accurate description of the potential vulnerability.
- WAF or Web Application Firewall: Technology advancements now let you utilize innovative applications that you can install for protecting your website server. It is one of the most crucial website security tips that you will ever come across. Following this is a must. Those applications you can refer to as WAF or Web Application Firewall that, along with overseeing data transmission, evaluate whether these are secure or not. In case there is risky traffic present, the firewall will screen and eradicate it so that your website goes unharmed.
- Keeping Software Updated: You might think which webmaster or marketers do not keep their software updated. But it would help if you also learned what happens when you do not pay much heed to it. One of the best ways to protect a website from hackers is to keep the software updated to secure the website. It does not just apply to any software but the server OS as well. If there are loopholes in website security software, it is straightforward for hackers to exploit them. The best website security tip here is to use a managed hosting solution as then the hosting company will take care of all the security updates from time to time.
- Malware Scans: As you finish developing your website along with your developer team, you might find everything to be excellent and trendy. However, website security loopholes are not always visible to the naked eye. It makes malware scanning an essential part of website security. You might find it to be effortless, but it is the most effective. You do not need to lose out on any information or files once you indulge in malware scanning for your website’s security. The more regularly you perform the scans, the faster erasing the challenges will be a possibility.
- Back-Ups: When you are working day in, and day out, disasters can take place. You can lose all the hard work in a fraction of a second. But what if you can prevent such things from happening? All you need to do is believe in the power of backups that is the best method of restoring the website if there is any incident. These act as safety nets. Performing back-up regularly is a must, and storing them on a safe server is also a necessity. After that, you can resolve any issue within a short period.
Would you ever let any intruder break into your abode? You will take necessary steps such as putting up a strong door lock so that no one can. The same way, following website security tips, will prevent malicious activities from taking place. The website is your business’s home, and you need to safeguard it at any cost. When you work with the most reputed web development company, you will find the teams always seeking to improve your website’s security. Start taking the little steps today to prevent significant mishaps.
Manan Ghadawala is the founder of 21Twelve Interactive which is one of the best mobile app development company in India and the USA. He is an idealistic leader with a lively management style and thrives raising the company’s growth with his talents. He is an astounding business professional with astonishing knowledge and applies artful tactics to reach those imaginary skies for his clients. His company is also recognized by the Top Mobile App Development Companies. Follow him on Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn
Manan is a guest blogger. All opinions are his own.