As we all know, technology is revolutionizing and it has served as a blessing in many ways especially in data security. Data security is one of the major factors that should be taken care of while outsourcing your development project. There is no doubt about the fact that today data acts as a key asset whether your business is small or large, you must protect your asset.
Currently, outsourcing is gaining huge momentum and businesses are seeking reliable top-notch offshore software development companies around. However, the question that must strike your mind should be, how to hire a remote development team? Some of the major factors included in hiring remote teams is, defining your business goal, managing the time difference, clarifying your project requirements, and developing good communication, etc. I am sure you will come across a plethora of information regarding that.
Now, as we know that a large number of business organizations are now leveraging offshore technology teams. But, very few of them take all security measures to protect customer data and understand how badly cyber-security affects the business and affects the competitive talent.
The risks of operating remote and especially offshore development teams is an undervalued source of cyber violations. This is apparently because these ventures are not either correctly recognized by controls themselves. Data exposures and security crimes are the major reasons why businesses get into PR disrepute and drop the trust of their users.
In this post, we are going to explore new ways to manage offshore development teams without contravening data security. So without any further ado, let’s get started!
What is Data Security?
As the name suggests, data security refers to protecting your data against unauthorized access and it is more like a safe locker where you can keep your valuable information safe from attackers for your entire tenure.
Security ruptures have been making tremendous headlines a lot recently. Some of the leading and trustworthy companies have been hacked and lost a lot of valuable information and customers as well.
In short, we can say that data security helps you to keep your sensitive information safe including data encryption, hashing, and much more. This process also helps you to keep your important data safe and protect them from attackers.
What is the Importance of using Data Security?
Whether your business is small or large, public or private, data security is important for every type of organization for various reasons. There is a legal obligation that allows businesses to protect their sensitive customer data from hackers and attackers.
The financial industry may be subject to the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard that drives companies to adopt all feasible steps to protect user data. If you think data security is not important and take it lightly, your companies’ reputation can be permanently damaged. For logistical and financial consequences of a data breach , you’ll have to invest a lot of money to repair the damage and determine which business processes require improvements and which processes failed.
Protecting and keeping your IP and project safe are the main aspects to manage your offshore software development team against any security breach. According to a survey, more than 30% of business organizations observed some or the other kind of breach attempt while working with offshore developers. Here are some security measures that should be taken when you’re planning to outsource your project:
- Sign an NDA that is written by an attorney-at-law
- Regularly update your networking monitoring settings
- Say No to unauthorized access to your system
- Only authorized access to sensitive user information
The benefits of hiring an offshore development team that offers scalability, global talent, and reliability without peers and allows you to focus on core business activities.
A complete guide to data security when managing offshore teams
Nowadays, global data breaches and offshore software development are the two major concepts that have been popping up like never before. Both are important and inevitable! Working with a remote team is not a new norm anymore as more and more companies are now outsourcing their project to stay ahead of the competitive market.
You must be wondering, how to manage data security when you’re working with an offshore development company, so here we go:
1. Secure all your applications and devices
Is the IT infrastructure configured correctly to assure the operations performed for cybersecurity? Utilizing updated security software on each side including application control, antispyware protection, and firewall is a good practice.
By taking such security measures, hackers will be unable to access your passwords and use your system. Similarly, external hardware and employees’ desktops are encrypted to keep your data safe from illegal access from unauthorized networks or locations. And if any employees want to log in from a different site and access any sensitive information, they can do so if their system is authorized by the team leader.
2. Build partnership and make it two-way
Like any business organization, the efforts that you invest in managing your offshore team are multiplied when they are made from both ends. And to make those efforts effective, make sure that connections are created on both sides.
- Share your ideas and goals efficiently: Make sure to share your vision, goals, and challenges with your offshore development team. Gaining trust to bring your remote development team and in-house team to the same phase is important. Building trust among all the developers can motivate them to achieve business goals and work hard for you.
- Focus on communication: Communication is the main factor when it comes to making bonds on both ends. Interacting with your offshore teams and understanding their working pattern can help align everyone’s efforts. Allow your developers to interact effectively, allow them to make video calls or voice calls instead of emails and chats for having a better understanding of your tasks.
3. Secure network monitoring
As a business holder, it becomes your duty to establish a secured network. Non-tech-driven business organizations often overlook the value of extending configuration management and dealing with the ever-changing networks. But when you are fond of protecting your data and sensitive information, make sure to choose a reliable offshore software development service provider that has an updated network.
Additionally, you can also double-check if their security is up-to-scratch or not. The problem is how?
- Are they using a firewall?
- Are their WiFi networks secure?
- Do they change passwords regularly?
- Are their employee’s experts in cybersecurity?
- Do they install OS and application software for security updates?
- Are they using the latest version of antivirus software?
4. Monitor your database activity
Ask your outsourcing team the right questions. Especially if your project has any sensitive information of the user, make sure that your developers take security seriously. When you’re planning to hire an offshore software development team for your project, make sure they have the following:
- An active network monitoring system that allows you to identify security breaches
- Firewalls and anti-malware software
- Regular security audits
- In-house IT policies to share file
Routine checks are required, so your policies can overcome your business challenges. Also, keep the records of employees who are accessing the information and when. By doing this, you can avoid data leakage and control fraudulent changes.
5. Establish an NDB scheme
Devise your own NDB system that triggers information and the cost of compliance to overcome your offshore development queries:
- Delayed Reporting: The number of records presented progressed by more than 250% compared to 2018. But under-reporting may still create a problem. Companies may try to overcome damages by not making security breach incidents public. Outsourcing development teams may not notify data subjects that are influenced by a data breach.
- Uneven playing field: Without following the best security practices, you cannot level up a playing field for your business. They will constantly experience differences while handling security breaches.
- Poor compliance: Offshore development teams need a necessary system in place. Only then they will consider what private information is required to collect. Furthermore, consider the time for grasping the data else it will hamper your business’ reputation.
Lastly, have a sneak peek at some top ways to manage offshore teams:
- Define project scope, identify goals, and prepare realistic timelines
- Search for a reliable outsourcing partner and then build your team
- Know the capabilities of your offshore team
- Share your vision and goals to motivate your team to work for you
- Better decision-making
- Make sure to choose a reliable service provider and a perfect engagement model that helps you to fulfill your business requirements
- Protect your IP address, ensure your data is safe, and sign strict NDAs
Working with an offshore team means keeping all talent in one place. The points we consider in this post are definitely important for data security and despite that, make sure to choose the right service provider that ensures all cybersecurity measures are in place.
Your business may be influenced to sacrifice security at offshore locations. If you’re not taking security seriously, you are taking your entire business to risk. So it is important to take all security precautions and follow the best security practices to walk on a safer side. After all, an offshore team may tailor security measures based on your project requirements.
Everyone is responsible for data security, whether you are working with an offshore software development team or your existing team. We hope you find the following post helpful, these tips together can eliminate threats to your data and protect sensitive customer information.
Evangeline Reece is a tech enthusiast and part time blogger
Evangeline is a guest blogger. All opinions are her own.